You can find my resume and research statement here
I am a postdoctoral scholar working under the mentorship of Prof. Prabal Dutta at Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at University of California, Berkeley.
I plan to start as an Assistant Professor at Department of Computer Science at National University of Singapore in 2022.
Prospective students: feel free to reach out to me!
My research interests centers around designing and tackling challenges of embedded -- sensing, communication and computation -- systems. I take an interdisciplinary approach of combining the concepts in communication, computer science and electronics to design embedded systems and applications. I enjoy working at their intersection.
In the recent few years, the focus of my research has been around designing sensing and communication systems that can operate at very low power which makes it possible to operate these systems on tiny batteries, or even without batteries on minuscle amounts ofenergy harvested from the ambient environment. E.g., As part of my postdoctoral work, I am working on designing low-power sensors to enable large scale data collection for future factores. The low-power may even enable these sensors to operate without batteries! Check this video (ABB produced video). You can also read more about me here , and in swedish here .
Before joining UC Berkeley, I spent several years at Uppsala University, Sweden, where I also obtained my Ph.D degree. During my time at Uppsala University, I shephereded the move of the research group from classical wireless sensor networks towards emerging communication areas (Backscatter, LiFi, Tunnel Diodes).
Before joining Uppsala University, I worked at NXP Semiconductors, where I was responsible to design low-power wireless networking stack. Some of my work conducted at NXP was also shipped to the customers. I obtained a Bachelors degree in Information and Communication Technology, and during my studies, I primarily worked with Prof. Prabhat Ranjan, and I studied and developed interest in electronics, computer science, and communications, and designed wireless cameras to take images of tigers!
- [October 2021] IMDEA Networks did a press release for our upcoming work to appear at ACM MOBICOM 2021. This system demonstrates ability to transmit to hundreds of meters at only few microwatts of power consumption. A world record of its own. You can find the work here. It was covered by several media outlets such as TechXplore, EureakAlert, AzoSensors, ElectronicsForu and many others
- [September 2021] Due to the pandemic, I was on-leave from UCB, and visiting NSS@KTH in the early part of this year. We were exploring potential for collaboration on security issues with backscatter communication. The outcome from the collaboration (with Revathy) has been accepted at ACM HOTNETS 2021
- [August 2021] Very excited that our joint work with long-term collaborators at IMDEA Networks Institute, Spain has been accepted at MobiCom 2021! Bean counting :-) - Hatrick of MobiCom acceptance in as many years.
- [June 2021] I have started writing about Internet of Things, Automation, and other related topics on Medium. Find my Medium homepage here, and follow my thoughts in the area.
- [April 2021] I have accepted an offer to join as an Assistant Professor at School of Computer Science at National University of Singapore. I am very excited to establish research group in the area of embedded systems and networking, and I plan to start early 2022. Please reach out if you are interested.
- [April 2021] I am serving on the program committee of IEEE INFOCOM 2022. Please consider submitting your work!
- [April 2021] I am excited to serve on the editoral board of the "Wireless Embedded Systems" track of the exciting new open-access journal "Journal of Systems Research"
- [April 2021] I am serving on the program committee of the exciting new workshop "No Power and Low Power Internet-of-Things (LP-IoT 2021)" to be held together with ACM MobiCom 2021. Please consider submitting your work!
- [March 2021] I have invited talks regarding tackling the energy asymmetry in wireless embedded systems at several universities and institutions including: IMDEA Network Institute, Imperial College London, National University of Singapore,ETH Zurich,Aalto University
- [December 2020] I am serving on the Program Committee of IEEE INFOCOM 2021 , IEEE ICDCS 2021 and IEEE DCOSS 2021. Please consider submitting your work!
- [November 2020] Together with colleagues at IMDEA Networks Institute, Spain we presented work to design battery-free platforms that use hybrid communication medium (RF-backscatter and LiFi) at European Researchers' Night 2020 and Science and Innovation Week 2020. Watch more about our exciting project in this video.
- [October 2020] I gave an invited talk ACM SIGMOBILE India Chapter regarding enabling widespread sustainable sensing. The announcement was distributed through official ACM handles.
- [September 2020] Our work to design low-power carrier emitters was accepted and presented at ACM MOBICOM 2020. This work was jointly done together with Lorenzo Corneo (Uppsala University). Find presentation video here .
- [August 2020] Excited to start new chapter in my career and start working as a Postdoctoral Scholar at University of California, Berkeley under the guidance of Prof. Prabal Dutta.
- [July 2020] I presented our to design hybrid light and RF backscatter systems at ACM MOBISYS 2020. This work done together with fantastic colleagues at IMDEA Networks Institute, Spain. You can find video presentation here .
- [June 2020] Extremely proud that Andreas Soleiman whom I have been mentoring for past several years has received Ph.D. admits from University of California@Berkeley, MIT (accepted), University of Washington@Seattle, Dartmouth and others!!
- [December 2019] Uppsala University Innovation appreciated our battery-free sensing work with Attractive Innovation Award and selected it among Top 15 projects from the University! Find the press release here
- [November 2019] I received the prestigious ABB Research Award 2019 for my doctoral dissertation and ongoing work to enable large-scale data collection in inudstries using battery-free sensors. You can read about the project here. This award includes the highest endowment offered by any company with value being 300,000 USD.
- [October 2019] I presented our work on using tunnel diodes for enhancing backscatter systems at ACM MOBICOM 2019@Mexico! Please find the presentation here.
Securing Battery-free Backscatter Tags through Fingerprinting
Revathy Narayanan , Ambuj Varshney , Panos Papadimitratos
ACM HOTNETS 2021
PassiveLiFi: Rethinking LiFi for Low-Power and Long Range RF Backscatter
Muhammad Sarmad, Borja Genoves, Ambuj Varshney , Domenico Giustiniano
ACM MOBICOM 2021
Tunnel Emitter: Tunnel Diode based Low-Power Carrier Emitters for Backscatter Tags
Ambuj Varshney , Lorenzo Corneo
ACM MOBICOM 2020
Find the conference video presentation here!
Two to Tango: Hybrid Light and Backscatter Networks for Next Billion Devices
Ander Galisteo* , Ambuj Varshney* , Domenico Giustiniano .
* Co-primary authors contributing equally to the work
ACM MOBISYS 2020
Find the conference video presentation here!
TunnelScatter: Low Power Communication for Sensor Tags using Tunnel Diodes
Ambuj Varshney , Andreas Soleiman , Thiemo Voigt
ACM MOBICOM 2019
Find the conference video presentation here!
Connecting Battery-free IoT Tags Using LED Bulbs
Domenico Giustiniano , Ambuj Varshney, Thiemo Voigt
ACM HOTNETS 18
Demonstration: Towards Battery-free Radio Tomographic Imaging
Abdullah Hylamia, Ambuj Varshney , Andreas Soleiman, Panos Papadimitratos , Christian Rohner, Thiemo Voigt
Best Demonstration Award!!
ACM WISEC 2018
Battery-free 802.15.4 Receiver
Carlos Perez Penichet, Claro Noda, Ambuj Varshney , Thiemo Voigt
ACM/IEEE IPSN 2018
LoRea: A Backscatter architecture that achieves a long communication range
Ambuj Varshney , Oliver Harms, Carlos Penichet, Christian Rohner , Frederik Hermans, Thiemo Voigt
2019 ABB HvG Award Winner
ACM SENSYS 2017
Battery-free Visible Light Sensing
Ambuj Varshney, Andreas Soleiman, Luca Mottola, Thiemo Voigt
Best Paper Award
ACM Student Research Competition Winner (Graduate, MobiCom) (Mentored student)
Google Faculty Research Award 2018 (PhD advisor)
ACM VLCS (Co-located with ACM MobiCom) 2017
Towards wide-area backscatter networks
Ambuj Varshney , Carlos Perez Penichet, Christian Rohner, Thiemo Voigt
ACM HotWireless (Co-located with ACM MobiCom) 2017
modBulb: A Modular Light Bulb for Visible Light Communication
Kasun Hewage, Ambuj Varshney , Abdalah Hilamia, Thiemo Voigt Thiemo Voigt
ACM VLCS (Co-located with ACM MobiCom) 2016
Augmenting IoT Networks with Backscatter-Enabled Passive Sensor Tags
Carlos Perez Penichet, Frederik Hermans, Ambuj Varshney , Thiemo Voigt
ACM HotWireless (Co-located with ACM MobiCom) 2016
Directional Transmissions and Receptions for High-throughput Bulk Forwarding in Wireless Sensor Networks
Ambuj Varshney , Luca Mottola, Mats Carlsson , Thiemo Voigt
ACM SENSYS 2015
dRTI: Directional Radio Tomographic Imaging
Bo Wei , Ambuj Varshney , Wen Hu, Neal Patwari, Thiemo Voigt , Chun Tung Chou
ACM/IEEE IPSN 2015
You can read more about my involvement in academic community here .
You can find some of my talks and coverage of my work in the media here .
I take great pride in mentoring students, and am fortunate to be able to mentor the students listed below (alumni, not present):
- Andreas Soleiman (Masters Thesis and Research Assistant, Period: 2016-2020, Ph.D. Student (MIT, 2021))
- Elena Di Lascio (Masters Thesis, Period: 2015-2016, Ph.D. Student (USI, Lugano, Swiss, 2017-Present)
- Oliver Harms (Masters Thesis, Period: 2016-2017, Ph.D. Student (Chalmers University, Sweden)
- Sam Hylamia (Masters Thesis and Research Assistant, Period: 2017-2018, Ph.D. Student (Uppsala University) )
- Gustav Eriksson (Masters Thesis, Period: 2018, Project Engineer)
- Simon Olofsson (Research Assistant, Period: 2015, Ph.D. Student (Imperial College London)
- David Hakassan
Awards and Grants
- 2019 ABB HvG Research Award (Doctoral dissertation)
(Received from CEO and Chairman of ABB Peter Voser, and Ex-Chairman of ABB Hubertus Von Gruenberg)
- 2019 ABB HvG Research Award Grant (Grant amount 300k USD)
(To support postdoctoral work for three years)
- 2019 VINNOVA VFT Grant (Grant amount 13k USD)
- 2019 Uppsala University Innovation - Top 15 Projects from the University ( Uppsala University Press Release )
- 2018 Vetenskapradet grant (approx. 450k USD) (Team member, main PI- Prof. Christian Rohner)
- 2018 VINNOVA - Breakthrough Ideas (Grant amount 55k USD) (only PI)
- 2018 Best Demonstration Award ACM WiSec
- 2017 Best Paper Award ACM VLCS (Co-located with ACM MobiCom 2017)
- 2017 ACM Student Research Competetion Winner (Mentor) (ACM MobiCom, Graduate)
You can read more about my teaching activities here.
Even before: My first computer was a IBM PC XT back in 1992. I have been supporter and follower of FOSS movement and Linux since 1998. I contributed to IndLinux project and traslated many applications to Hindi back in 2000-2001. From 2006, I was maintaining a blog called Linux on Desktop where I discussed the use of GNU/Linux on desktops. At that time, it was ranked as Top-10 blog in the genre and I used the revenue from the Google Advertisements (Adsense) on the blog posts to fund my undegraduate education. In 2010, I briefly worked with PlayPower project (From Carnegie Mellon University with Derek Lomas), and developed games for 6502 microcontroller.